Tuesday, September 3, 2013

He spoke to me

Have you ever actually, physically heard God speak to you? Until this year I would have said no. I've heard other people's stories and always wondered why God hadn't chosen to speak to me. There have been two distinct moments this year where I have heard the voice of God, and I am writing about the most recent moment as {hopefully} part of a healing process.

I went to the grocery store yesterday as a quick errand to grab 3 things - ketchup, eggs, and laundry detergent. Clint kept Hunter at the house and I took Lauran with me. I was talking with her the whole trip because I didn't want her to fall asleep. I wanted her to take her normal nap when we got home. We got to the store and I remember noticing a sign that said "Grand Opening." I thought it was odd because the store has been open for quite some time. And then it happened. A mother's worst nightmare. I wasn't on the phone, I wasn't texting or facebooking, I wasn't in a rush -- I went into auto-mode. 99% of the time I go to the grocery store I go on my lunch break so I don't have to take the kids with me. So I put the car in park, turned off the car, grabbed my purse, and went inside. I walked up to the door, grabbed my basket. I went to the ketchup isle because it was straight in front of me. I grabbed a bottle of ketchup to put in my basket, and that is when God spoke to me. All I heard was "Lauran." I remember thinking it was strange and looking around me. Then it hit me....could this possibly be real....oh my gosh panic mode. I sprinted out the door, I couldn't breath, my body was shaking, and I dropped my basket somewhere along the way. I sprinted to my car. {I can NEVER find where I put my keys but somehow by the grace of God they were in my hands before I got to the car.} I unlocked the door and grabbed my sweet baby.

I know she was "only" in there less than 5 minutes, but I expected for there to be a scene at my car when I came out of the store. Someone breaking my window to get her out. Thank God it was a cloudy day and He so firmly reminded me of my angel when I got in to the store, because when I got back to her she was still asleep and there was not a gush of heat when I opened the door. I cried hysterically holding her. Then I called my Mom and cried more. Thankfully my Mom calmed me down enough so that I could breath. I couldn't bear the thought of going in and getting my groceries. So I went home to snuggle with my sleepy baby. I cried hysterically when I got home and told Clint. He gently hugged me and told me everything was fine and to go take a nap with Lauran. I went in there but I couldn't sleep - all I could do was stare at my beautiful angel and tell her I was sorry a million times over. And every time I told her I was sorry, I thanked God for letting her be ok.  I know she won't remember this, but I will never forget it. I will never look at those news stories in the same way where parents were not as fortunate as me to get back to the car in time. I will never judge those parents.

I am embarrassed, dumb founded that I actually did that to my baby. I am heart-broken and thankful all at the same time. That was easily the worst moment of my life, and yet the best because my baby was perfect! I am thankful that by the Grace of God she is ok and equally as thankful for my family who never judged me but was and continues to be so supportive. I think the Lord might have been saving up for that moment for when He knew I would need Him the most and I am thankful my ears were open to hear His voice. I have no moral to this story except to say hug your babies tights and always keep your heart open to hear the Lord. I know the Lord has great plans for my angel. He has forgiven me, Lauran has forgiven me, and my family has forgiven me.....overtime I pray that I can forgive myself.



2 comments:

  1. Every parent has forgotten their child at some time or another. We left my sister at a gas station restroom while on vacation one time. She was 5. We were several miles down the road before my parents noticed and I sure wasn't going to mention it. ha! Whether it was the voice of God or your strong maternal subsconscience that alerted you, your baby is safe and that's what matters. You are both blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Diane! I am having a really hard time dealing with the fact that I could have made that mistake, but you are right - she is safe and that is what matters. Thank you for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete