Monday, November 29, 2010

Footprint Turkeys

Well I had another one of my brilliant ideas......I thought for Thanksgiving I would go to one of those paint-your-own pottery places and make Hunter's footprint into Turkey platters. I wasn't about to do this on my own so I waited until Aunt B was going to be in town to help (sucker)!! Then it just so happened that my nephew was going to be in town the weekend that I was going to try to tackle this task so I thought that it would be perfect for Grammie to have a platter with a Luke foot turkey and a Hunter foot turkey. So I managed to recruit Grammie into this madness as well.

So on Saturday morning we woke up and got the boys ready and headed off to the pottery place. I had a pattern that I wanted to try to copy that was super cute but let me tell you platter painting is a skill.....and one that does not come naturally to me. The footprint part of the painting went really well. The people that worked there took the kid's footprints while we held them. It was the next 3 hours that was a bit rough. Luke was done with the whole painting thing after about 25 seconds. A 2 1/2 year old with a wall full of ceramics made us VERY nervous. Luke did great. He found interest in the legos they had there, ate every one of the snacks we packed for him, and had the most fun going in and out of the bathroom. Hunter was being a bit fussy so Aunt B had the job of keeping him entertained. So that left Betty and I with 5 platters to draw and paint (3 coats) by ourselves while keeping an eye on Luke. UUgghhhh....sounded like a better idea before we started in.

After I picked the platters up I was SO THANKFUL that I did it. They turned out soooo cute and everyone that got one LOVED them!! Here was the work in progress.





Here is ONE of the finished products....don't you love it?? (The leaves are a background tablecloth or something....the colored dots are the edge of the plate)


2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the finished product!! I bet they're so cute!! Those projects take some effort--always harder than it looks, hehe-- but it's so worth it in the end!!
    ~*Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just precious!! And such a wonderful keepsake to use for years!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete